In this BlackBerry VPN setup guide, I will show you on how to setup a IKEv2 VPN service on your BlackBerry 10 device.
Please note this instruction are generic and you should obtain all the necessary VPN setting information from your VPN provider.
What Is BlackBerry VPN?
Blackberry allows you to create a VPN profile on your device so that you can connect to a VPN profile created on the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server.
Unfortunately, this guide is not applicable if you want to connect to a BlackBerry Enterprise VPN Server.
What Is VPN And How It Works?
We have a separate article on this topic which I would recommend you to read.
In a simple term, VPN stands for Virtual Private Networks. When you connect to a VPN service, your connection will be encrypted and routed through a secure service which allows you to be safe online.
How Do I Setup VPN On My BlackBerry 10?
I have break this into two sections so you can follow the instructions carefully.
Creating BlackBerry VPN Profile
Tap on Settings icon.
Scroll down the screen and open Networks and Connections.
Tap on VPN.
Click on the + (plus) icon to add a new VPN profile.
Blackberry VPN Settings
Profile Name: Just enter any name
Server Address: Enter the VPN server address you want to connect to
Gateway Type: Generic IKEv2 VPN Server
Authentication Type: EAP-MSCHAPv2
Authentication Type: Fully Qualified Domain Name
Note: Scroll down to view more VPN settings.
Authentication ID: Usually your VPN service domain name. Please ask your provider
MSCHAPv2 EAP Identity: Your VPN account’s username
MSCHAPv2 Username: Your VPN account’s username
MSCHAPv2 Password: Your VPN account’s password
Gateway Auth Type: PKI
Gateway Auth ID Type: Fully Qualified Domain Name
Gateway Auth ID: Just leave it blank/empty.
Allow Untrusted Certificate: Disallow
Gateway CA Certificate: All CA Certificates
Note: Leave other settings as is.
Now, click on Save at the bottom to save the VPN settings.
Connecting to the VPN
At the VPN Settings screen, click on the VPN profile name you’ve just created to establish a VPN connection.
If the connection has been successfully established, the colour of the profile changes. That’s it, you’re now connected to a VPN service.
BlackBerry VPN Not Connecting?
Below are some suggestions that you can try, one step at a time.
- Review your VPN settings and see if it’s all correct?
- Reboot your Internet router, device and see if it clears the problem?
- Switch between your home wireless connection to your mobile internet (or hotspot) and connect to VPN again to see if it works on your mobile data?
- Try to connect to other server location. i.e. change the server address and you can obtain this information from your VPN service provider.
Failing that, please contact your VPN service provider so they can check further and see if there are any problems with your account or their service.
Best VPN For BlackBerry
I’ve tested a few VPN services and for the best, I would recommend that you try hide.me VPN
How To Set Up hide.me VPN On A BlackBerry Device?
To get started, follow the steps below:
- Register for a free account
- Once you’ve registered, you should have your username and password. It’s the same details that you use to login into hide.me VPN website.
- Next, set up the VPN on your BlackBerry device as per the instructions in this article and ensure you use the details below when you setting up the VPN.
- Server Address: free-unlimited.hideservers.net (Free service)
- Authentication ID: hide.me
4. You should now able to connect to the VPN.
Can I Use hide.me VPN On Other Device(s)?
Absolutely! If you want to set up the VPN on your other devices like macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, you can download hide.me VPN app.
Differences Between hide.me Paid Vs Free Service?
hide.me Free plan
- 10GB Data Transfer
- Renewable every 30 days.
- Choice of 5 server locations
- Only 1 connection allowed
hide.me Paid Plan
- Unlimited Data Transfer
- Connect to all server locations
- Set up and connect on up to 10 devices simultaneously using a single account
IKEv2 is one of the fastest and most secure VPN protocol available. If your VPN service provider supports IKEv2, you can set up your device easily to connect to the VPN.
Was this guide helpful? Which VPN service provider you’re using?