In this article, we will guide you on how to fix BBC iPlayer DASH Manifest failed error.
Please note this article is also applicable if you’re having any other problems downloading BBC programmes via Its Downloads app.
What Is DASH Manifest?
DASH Manifest (also known as Media Presentation Description) is an XML-based file that contains all the necessary information for a client like BBC iPlayer Downloads to download a media programme.
Why did BBC iPlayer downloads fail to load DASH Manifest, DRM License failed or download programmes?
They are a couple of reason on why you’re seeing iPlayer DASH Manifest error. They are commonly known for;
- You’re using an outdated version of the iPlayer Downloads app.
- Your Internet connection is not stable.
- Security software like Anti-Virus, Firewall etc on your computer is Interrupting BBC iPlayer Downloads.
- The VPN or Smart DNS service you’re using has been blocked by BBC servers.
- You’re on a restricted network. i.e Public WiFi, Work, Hotel, School connection.
How To Check BBC iPlayer Downloads Version?
To check what version you have installed:
- Open the Downloads application
- Click on Settings at the top right of the screen
- The app version will be displayed at the top left of the Settings screen, e.g. BBC iPlayer Downloads v2.2.0
Troubleshooting iPlayer DASH Manifest Error, DRM License failed & Downloads Issues
Below are the suggestions which may resolve the issue(s) you’re having. Please try one suggestion at a time.
1. Restart devices
Please restart your Internet router, device(s) as this often clears the connection problem.
2. Use the latest iPlayer Downloads app
Please ensure you’re using the latest version of the BBC iPlayer downloads app. To check on this, Open the application, go to Settings, and click Check for Updates.
3. Disable Anti-Virus temporarily
Some antivirus software routes all the request to their servers on DNS level. When this happened, BBC may think you’re out of the UK or it may suspect you’re on unknown connection.
4. Check your web browser version
If you’re using an outdated web browser, you will need to update it first before the DASH Manifest file can be loaded properly.
5. Try using another web browser
Try using Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari to download a new episode and see? If it works, stop using the browser you’re having problems with.
6. Launch iPlayer Downloads app after VPN
If you’re using a VPN service, please launch the iPlayer Downloads app after the VPN connection is established. Failing that, please contact your VPN provider and ask if their server(s) is blocked by BBC.
7. Re-install BBC iPlayer Downloads app
If you’re still having problems at this point, please re-install BBC iPlayer Downloads app. To do so, please follow the instructions below:
How To Re-Install BBC iPlayer Downloader App correctly
The standard way of re-installing the BBC iPlayer Downloads app requires you to look up leftover files and remove them manually which can be quite technical for some.
I would suggest that you use a free app remover tool called Revo which simplify the whole process.
To do so, Download Free Revo app and install it on your computer.
Next, launch Revo uninstaller and double click on BBC iPlayer Downloads App.
Now, click on Continue to confirm BBC iPlayer Downloads uninstallation.
When you see this screen, leave all the option as is and click on Scan.
During the uninstallation process, you may be shown that Revo found some leftover BBC iPlayer Downloads registry keys. When you see this, click on Delete.
Revo may also show you BBC iPlayer Downloads leftover files and folders. Just click on Delete to complete the uninstallation process.
That’s it! just restart your computer and install the latest version of BBC iPlayer Downloads app.
- Go to Applications
- Ctrl + click BBC iPlayer Downloads
- Select Move to trash
Then, remove the BBC iPlayer Downloads folder
This is located in the Movies folder. The full path location is User > USER-NAME > Movies > “BBC iPlayer Downloads”
- Go to your folders
- Choose the User folder
- Select your user name
- Select the Movies folder
- Click on the Preferences folder
- Delete BBC iPlayer Downloads
Note: If you’re on version 1.X, you will need to delete the following BBC iPlayer Downloads folder manually.
- User > USER-NAME > Library > Preference > BBCiPlayerDownloads
- User > USER-NAME > Library > Application Support > Adobe > AIR > ELS > BBCiPlayerDownloads
If you can’t see the Library folder:
- Open the Finder
- Choose Go from the menu bar
- Choose Go to Folder (or Shift + Cmd + G)
- Type ~/Library into the text box and click Go
That’s it! just restart your maOS and install the latest version of BBC iPlayer Downloads app.
Where are my BBC iPlayer downloads stored?
For Windows, the default location is;
Users > account > Videos > BBC iPlayer Downloads
For macOS, the default location is;
Users > Movies > BBC iPlayer Downloads
To view this folder, go to Settings (in the top right-hand corner of the BBC iPlayer Downloads application), then under Destination, click on View in Finder (macOS) or View in Explorer (Windows).
To change the default locations:
- Go to Settings in the BBC iPlayer Downloads application
- Click Change destination folder under Destination
Why is the download button greyed out on BBC iPlayer?
It is difficult to tell from a end user view on to why the BBC iPlayer button is greyed out. However, the common reasons are;
- The programme is being broadcasted live.
- The programme has been made available only for streaming.
- Certain sports and films programmes can’t be downloaded due to rights.
- If you’re on a mobile device, you can only download programmes via the official BBC iPlayer app.
- The programme file is corrupted due to a technical issue.
Why do my downloads keep failing on Android/iPhone/iPad?
If you’re having problems on your mobile device(s), please try the steps below:
- Close the BBC iPlayer app and re-launch it.
- Restart your Internet router, device and try again.
- Re-install the BBC iPlayer app to ensure you have the latest version and this will also remove the app’s cache.
Why is my VPN not working with BBC iPlayer?
In most cases, BBC has been restricting VPN services and if you can’t access iPlayer using your provider, most likely they have been blocked.
Which VPN still works with BBC iPlayer?
As per our testing, hide.me VPN is working with BBC iPlayer and most of the other UK TV sites.
How can I watch UK TV abroad without VPN?
You can use a Smart DNS service and it usually works better as it doesn’t have the overhead encryption like a VPN service.